Oxygen Equipment Manufactures
Home Medical Equipment Suppliers / Oxygen Companies
American Lung Association Lung Hotline 1-800-LUNGUSA
American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology
National COPD/Adult Lung Resources
- American Lung Association - Has an interactive COPD Profiler to help with treatment decisions, an e-newsletter, and general information. www.lungusa.org
- COPD International - Online resource for people with COPD, family members and caregivers with interactive support and education. Includes Chat Room, message boards, and educational information. A must-read: The COPD Survival Guide. http://www.copd-international.com/
- National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine. 1400 Jackson Street Denver, CO 80206. 800-344-5864, 303-388-4461. This nonsectarian medical center offers patient education materials and provides an information service called the "Lung Line." The "Lung Line" is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Mountain Time) by registered nurses specializing in respiratory and immune system disorders. Helps callers nationally, including those from San Diego County. http://www.njc.org
- National Home Oxygen Patients Association - Non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of those who use supplementary oxygen. Organization goals include: serving as a clearinghouse of information about oxygen, including traveling, new research and equipment, to coordinate research, serve as an ombudsman for common patient problems, coordinating advocacy efforts, assist patients who require oxygen when flying. Membership is $15/year and includes a monthly newsletter. NHOPA, P.O. Box 96767, Washington, DC 20090-6767. Phone: 1-888-NHOPA-44. www.nhopa.org
- Pulmonary Education Research Foundation - Non-profit organization sponsoring research about pulmonary rehab and other treatments of benefit to adults with lung disease. Also produces patient education booklets and videos. Publishes a bi-monthly newsletter. PERF, P.O. Box 1133, Lomita, CA 90717-5133. (310)539-8390. http://www.perf2ndwind.org/
- National Lung Health Education Program (NLHEP), is a new healthcare initiative designed to identify and to treat patients in the early stages of emphysema and related chronic bronchitis. The NLHEP is directed to both primary care physicians and to patients. http://www.nlhep.org/
- Portable Oxygen: A User's Perspective. New to oxygen therapy? This site is about supplemental home and portable oxygen. The information you see here is collected from manufacturers, providers, and patients just like you. Its owner, Pete Wilson, is a oxygen patient who is both a researcher and an advocate for you. Learn here about how you breathe, then learn the good, the bad, and the ugly about oxygen therapy. http://www.portableoxygen.org/index.html
- Better Breathers Traveler, A Travel Guide for People with Chronic Lung Conditions, by American Lung Association of San Diego and Imperial Counties, 2001. People with stable lung disease should be able to travel; this book shows you step by step how to plan and conduct a successful trip. Call 1-800-LUNG-USA or 619-297-3901 to ask questions and/or to order.
Breathe Well - A quarterly educational newsletter about COPD, provided as a service from Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Available free of charge by calling 800-273-8985.
The COPD Digest - A quarterly magazine providing relevant resources, research, reports and advice for people with COPD. Published by the COPD Foundation, P.O. Box 34107, Washington DC 20043. Subscription is free by calling 1-866-316-COPD(2673) or contacting www.COPDdigest.org.
Life and Breath: Preventing, Treating and Reversing Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Neil Schachter, MD, 2003. Published by Broadway Books, New York.
- Second Wind - Bi-monthly newsletter published by PERF, The Pulmonary Education and Research Foundation. http://www.perf2ndwind.org/ Available at no cost online. To be mailed copies, a donation of $20 is requested to help offset costs. P.O. Box 1133 Lomita, California 90717-5133. Fax (310) 539-8390 Tel(310) 539-8390
- The Pulmonary Paper - A national newsletter ($17.95 per year for 8 issues) providing networking, support, idea exchange, and lung disease research and treatment updates. The Pulmonary Paper, P.O. Box 877, Ormond Beach, FL 32175. 1-800-950-3698. http://www.pulmonarypaper.org/
- Shortness of Breath: A Guide to Better Living and Breathing, 6th edition By Andrew L. Ries, et al, August 2000. Published by Mosby-Year Book, Inc. Used in pulmonary rehabilitation programs for its concise, friendly, helpful approach.